Having A Bad Day? Turn It Around By Doing These Things!
The verdict is out…stress is not good for you! Sad reality is that we have stress every day. We are a society that has a very hard time getting away from it. Scientifically your brain doesn’t know the difference between the stress of a lion chasing you for his dinner and the stress of a major report due at school or a work presentation. All the brain knows it how to go into a mode that protects you.
Now if there is really a lion chasing you this is a great thing BUT day in and day out this state of living over time is detrimental to your health. In an article based on Dr. Sharon Horesh TED-ED talk about stress there are some simple steps you can do to de-stress. I challenge all of you to do these small steps daily to keep you health at a high level.
- BREATHE!!!! Most of us take short breaths all day long. The best way to deep breath is to take a breath in while your belly goes out. Do this breath to the count of 5. Hold for 2 then breathe out for 8. Repeat 5-10 times
- SQUEEZE AND RELAX. Our muscles during stress tenses up. So start from the top or bottom of your body and tense up a muscle for 5 seconds and then relax.
- MUSIC. The slower and more rhythmic the music the better. Classical music has stood the test of time for the best music for relaxation.
- EXERCISE One of the fastest way to get the energy of stress out is movement. Whether is walking or running or dancing. Physical release will help with metal release
- READING. Let your mind get lost in a book. Take a step back from reality and allow your brain to calm down
- EMBRACE STRESS People who look at stress as a way to improve their lives their body reacts better. Embrace it and use it for good.